Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Bonding

Having arrived just the previous day, the adventurous me thought of exploring a bit of the landscape. So I set out in the sunny afternoon. Took a cab to Las Colinas, and went and ate in this swanky Italian restaurant. Good food!

Once I was out, I realized to my horror that I was actually 15 miles from my office and my hotel, I didn't have a phone in my pocket, I didn't have a taxi service number or my teammates' numbers, and I didn't know a goddamned soul around! I felt a chill and some sort of boldness at the same time. I mean, it's the middle of nowhere I told you! So, I loitered around a bit, burnt whatever I had eaten and then not knowing what to do and not finding a pay phone, decided to head back to the restaurant where I had eaten and call up from there. I told the guy at the counter about my situation, and he very friendly offered my a glass of lemonade, allowed me to make a phone call, and in the process even offered to drop me off at my office. I thanked him for his kindness and called up my teammate who picked me up half an hour later ..

A strange feeling of bonding about these people had already sprung up in me. The guy had absolutely no reason to help me, but he had gone out of his way and had done what was possible in his capacity. Very good .. !

No comments: